A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"For Steph's Debut"

I was invited to guest blog @ Shooting Star Magazine to help celebrate our Steph Kuehnert's debut release I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE, and I thought it would be great to share here since it's just a few more days for Steph's official release.
***

Like books music tells a story. It’s powerful. Sad. Vibrant. Angry. Wild. Like books, music makes us feel.

And I’m thrilled Stephanie Kuehnert wrote a novel to show us just how much music lives and breathes for her main character, Emily Black.

I grew up in the ‘80s where Madonna and Michael Jackson had me dancing around the living room floor imitating dance moves that would make others laugh. I didn’t dare believe I could write or play music, but it couldn’t stop me from dancing with an audience all the way until junior high.

What happened in high school? I moved away, and wasn’t as comfortable with these new kids around me. I couldn’t be myself. Oh, I still continued to dance to rap and techno that exploded in the ‘90s, but it was when I was alone, that I would draw and paint, and even write a little to the sorrowful words of REM and White Lion.

You see, I never favored only one type of genre of music. I loved it all and still do, and that’s why I began to collect movie soundtracks filled with various artists. I didn’t have enough money to buy all the artists I wanted, but I could buy a soundtrack filled with some of my favorite songs. Music from the ‘60s to the ‘90s, songs that made my heart squeeze and some that made me want to get up and dance alone in my room. :)

Even now, my iPod nano is filled with old songs that I still recall the words today as well as the new artists that can lift my mood with a few beats.

Like books, I don’t think we could live without the power of music. And kudos to Stephanie for bringing these two elements together in her awesome debut, I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE. :)

Here’s to Stephanie. :)

In celebration of Stephanie’s release, I’m giving away a $10 iTunes gift certificate. Leave a comment on my post @ Shooting Star Magazine and you’ll be entered.

Contest ends: Sunday, Midnight EST to win the $10 iTunes gift card. :)

5 comments:

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Aww, Kelly, thank you for doing this in celebration of my release. This was so sweet of you and I absolutely loved hearing the story of your musical past. I too did a lot of dancing to Madonna as a kid. And I also appreciate your affinity for soundtracks. I love soundtracks too, what a great way to get a variety of music!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

You're welcome, Steph! I'm glad to be a part of it and looking forward to our signing!! yay!

Unknown said...

i may be a bit partial, because I've been waiting for this for years since I've known Stephanie and known how much writing and music both mean to her.

I must admit, though, if you love music, you will definitely connect to this book. well done, my friend. i wish you more success!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Very nice, Heilige! You sound like a great friend!

Danielle Joseph said...

I think Kelly hit it on the nose, Stephanie--your book is so relatable! Yay, for your debut release-- I might even have to do a little dancing over here--lol!