A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS
The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
What totems, rituals, or superstitions do you have?"
I also think this is such a fun topic and if I were writing about my grandmother, I could go on forever. Granny never let us open an umbrella in the house, put our handbags on the floor or walk under a ladder just to name a few. I think about her whenever I do these things and often feel guilty if I put my bag on the floor so I move it after a few minutes!
So here's what I do, do:
1. If my clock every reads 11:11, I make a wish.
2. I also make wishes on eyelashes and have my kids do the same.
3. As a kid I recited the alphabet while turning the stem of an apple and whatever letter I was on when the stem came loose, was the boy that I was "supposed" to date.
4. I like to sleep with the overhead fan on and one leg out of my comforter. When I was sleeping over my cousin, Mandy's house when I was about nine, she told me that that was the best way to sleep and I guess she was right.
5. I never write in a book unless it's to sign one. Even in college I wrote my notes on a separate sheet of paper.
6. In high school my friend, Nell and I decided to keep a sacred M & M in a beautiful small Chinese box that I was given for my Bat Mitzvah. All was fine until my dog Lady ate the sacred M & M.
This topic definitely lends itself well for character development when writing a novel. Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say about their totems. rituals or superstitions.