A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Monday, April 5, 2010

What Jobs DId You Dream of Having as a Kid?



I thought of this question because my boys, eight and five, love talking about what they want to be when they grow up. My eight year old is adamant that he wants to be a cop and my five year old waffles between a magician, president and a fireman.

It's so cool to think that when you are a kid, you have the world before you and you can be whatever you want. So here are the things I dreamed of being as a kid, in no particular order.



1. A movie star
2. An author
3. A professional ice skater
4. A singer
5. A lawyer
6. A DJ
7. A teacher
8. A commercial maker
9. An artist
10.Clothing store owner

I really have always wanted to be a writer ever since first grade when we wrote and illustrated our own books. I still have my laminated book today--that I often share at book signings and school visits. Anyway, I loved dreaming about what I would be when I grew up and couldn't wait to start working. Eventually, I realized that I wasn't going to be a pro skater or singer but I did work as a DJ for a while and earned a master's in Marketing and Advertising. I also taught for seven years and even though I never owned a store, I worked in retail in high school and college.

I love to paint as a hobby and hope to take an art class again when the kids get older and of course, I use my lawyerly arguing skills with the kids just about every day! And okay, so I'm not a movie star, but I do hope to see one of my books up on the big screen. My dream is have a cameo role in one of my movies.

So there you have it, all my jobs and dreams along the way have made me a better writer. I do believe that experience is everything and that it really fuels your imagination!

So what did you dream of being as a kid?

4 comments:

Jez said...

I've wanted to be a writer for a large part of my life, but there was a time in primary school when all I wanted to do was be a flight attendant. I'm not even sure why, but I thought it was such a glamourous job and you would get to travel all the time! I didn't realize the sucky schedule they would have, or the people they had to deal with.
I wanted to work in a book store, too, which I have done twice. One in a Christian bookstore, one in a comic shop. The first wasn't the best experience, but I loved the second one. Not too fond of retail though.
Right now I'm a receptionist, and I've been a personal assistant before, too, both things I thought about when I was young.
Then of course there were the rockstar, teacher, president, dancer ones.
I always came back to writer. And my latest dream, to help support the writing one, is to be a librarian. If I can make it through one more year of school, I'll go on to get my masters in library science.

Barbara Caridad Ferrer said...

I totally wanted to be Barbra Streisand, except without the diva 'tude. I desperately wanted to star on Broadway and be a torch singer in smoky nightclubs and be able to hoof it up and maybe make movies, as long as I got to sing.

Seriously-- it was my pipe dream forever, even as I recognized that it was kind of not the most stable job plan ever... *g*

Danielle Joseph said...

Jez, I've always wanted to work at book store. I did fill out the app for B & N in college but they never called:)! Being a librarian would be great! You'd be surrounded by something you love all day!
Barbara, it's never too late--lol! And I so wish that I could sing.

Jan Blazanin said...

You and I have a lot in common, Danielle, besides being "Ro's Hos!" I wanted to be a movie star and an artist, too. I grew up loving drawing, painting, and sculpting, and I'd probably still be doing artsy stuff if I could find a second somewhere.