A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

When and Where Do I Write


It's Saturday. It's 11:27 in the morning. And I'm at the bookstore. I'm actually sitting right across from that black chair you see to the left. This is where I do my writing. This photo actually shows the cafe next to where I sit. I love writing here. I have rows and rows of books to my right, and food right next to me. Every weekend I come here, buy an iced tea and a cookie or a sandwich, depending on the time of day, and plug my laptop in next to the fireplace (it's gas and has a little fire going at all times so it's very homey). During the winter I drink hot chocolates.

I have wireless access so I can research any topic as I write. I can check emails when I feel like procrastinating (or update my Facebook status, which doesn't help me be very productive).

These days I write mostly on the weekends and at night, if I'm not too burnt out from my day (I'm a marketing consultant, so I split my time between writing and client stuff).

When I'm starting a book (as I'm doing now) I have a hard time writing at home. Being in the bookstore helps me focus, to organize my thoughts. Once I'm more than halfway through a book I can write at home, but until then I need to get away and write somewhere else.

I always wonder what the girls behind the cafe counter think about the woman who sits here all day with a laptop on her lap staring into space like she can't figure something out or typing away with a vengence. I don't think they know what I'm doing. They probably think I have no life, if this is where I come every weekend.

But I like sitting here, knowing that over in the teen section my books are on the shelf. It's motivating - even if sometimes it's depressing when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere on my latest story.

2 comments:

Jan Blazanin said...

Cozy chair, fireplace, hot chocolate--sounds like the place to be!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Oooh fireplace, sounds very good. Also very inspiring to be so near your books! Getting out of the house might be a good idea for me, I may have to try it.