A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2009, HERE I COME!


This is the year I’ve been waiting for, striving for, on my road to publication. Since receiving my contract for Shrinking Violet, I have cyberally met so many amazing authors, editors, reviewers, bloggers and book lovers. You can be as involved in the process as you desire without leaving your computer.

I started out by setting up a MySpace page. There I friended tons of cool authors, found a few old pals and avoided a handful of cyber weirdos. From there I opened up a LiveJournal account. I love reading what is going on in the lives of fellow writers. There is so much to learn from how others work. Writing can be such a solitary profession so this has been a great way to stay in contact with real people/colleagues.

After that I breathed life into my one-dimensional Facebook account that my cousin had urged me to set up a couple of years back. It’s like insta-friends on there! I especially like the status updates where you can track people’s everyday happenings. Shortly after that I wrote my first entry for this fab MTV Books Blog. I really enjoyed all the insight into the revision process provided by such a warm, funny and savvy group of fellow authors.

In the meantime, I also banded with two groups of fellow 2009 debut authors. In the Class of 2K9, www.classof2K9.com, we discuss marketing, promotions and everything in between that has to do with publishing and not. Then there’s the wonderfully supportive group of debutantes that blog on LiveJournal and share daily writing experiences, swap music and even gifts. You can visit us at www.feastofawesome.com and become a watcher of the community.

Let me tell you, 2K9 is going to be a rockin’ year for books from debut and established authors. I’ve had the privilege of reading a few arcs and devoured all of them! I can’t wait to get my hands on more new reads! And the fun does not stop there, Cynthea Liu has created an amazing site, www.authorsnow.com which is the largest internet collaboration of debut children’s and teen book authors and illustrators!

So as I continue on my journey, I hope you’ll stop by some of my cyber hangouts and say hi or check out my website, www.daniellejoseph.com and shoot me an email.

Happy holidays to all and may all your wishes come true in 2009!

1 comment:

Jan Blazanin said...

Danielle, you are working this networking thing! It's good to know about the cyber groups for debut authors, too. I have no doubt that 2009 is going to be a spectacular year for both of us!