A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I am huge in Brazil!

Well, probably not. Time will tell. But after selling the Turkish rights to GOING TOO FAR and FORGET YOU earlier in the year, I have now sold the Brazilian rights.

My books haven't gotten a lot of publicity. I have no way to measure this, but I'm pretty sure that most of my success is a result of book bloggers being kind enough to write about my novels. And I suspect that I wouldn't have sold the Brazilian rights if it hadn't been for Brazilian book bloggers like Fracky and Raíla. I'm very appreciative of and eternally grateful to the friends I've met online!

I've never sold the foreign rights to any of my novels before, but some of my friends have sold theirs, so I have a good idea what happens next.

First, your book is translated by the new publisher into the language in question. They will send you a copy but you will not be able to make heads or tails of it. Here, for instance, is my critique partner Victoria Dahl's adult historical romance To Tempt a Scotsman.



Next, the new publisher selects a new cover. Because it's a brand new publisher and you've sold the book all over again to them, they can't use your old cover even if they liked it. So here's Vicki's original American cover



and here's the Japanese version.



Finally, the new publisher may give it a new title. But you will not know this unless you ask someone who speaks the language. For instance, Vicki found out that in Russia, the title of her book is no longer To Tempt a Scotsman. It is Lovely Hermit.



I can't wait to see the foreign editions of my novels! But I have a feeling that the new covers and titles are going to tell us a lot more about Turkey and Brazil and marketing there than they will tell us about my books.

4 comments:

Fracky said...

YAY!
Congrats Jenn, you deserve it and much more!
I'm pretty sure that you'll really gonna be huge over here in Brazil! :D
I cant wait to have the brazilian editions of Going Too Far and Forget You!!!
xox

Raíla said...

Congratulations once again, Jenn! :-) I am sure Brazilian readers will love both Going Too Far and Forget You. I've seen many putting those up on their wish-lists. Just like Fracky, I can't wait to have the Brazilian versions of your books. Success!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Congrats!!! How cool to sell foreign rights! I really hope I can someday as I'd love to see the alternate covers and such that are used. And of course I'd love to expand my audience. I am so glad your books are headed off to reach more readers as they will love them and be sure to show us those new covers when you get them!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Well, congratulations! It's wonderful news, right? :)