From the author of How to React When You See Your Cover for the First Time and How to Let Go of a Manuscript comes the latest in Jennifer Echols’s acclaimed series of how-to blogs for authors slowly driving themselves insane.
So you’ve finally gotten your cover, but your new novel doesn’t come out until March 17? No worries. There are plenty of things you can do with just a cover until then.
1. Print out your cover and tape it to another book. Pretend that your book has already come out.
2. Remember those stickers from the middle of I Am America and So Can You for The Stephen T. Colbert Nominee for The Literary Excellence? Stick one to your cover and pretend you have won the National Book Award. Wait--what’s this? The MTV Books art department did not leave room anywhere on the cover for your National Book Award! Award John’s chin.
3. Make an LOLcat.
4. Make a countdown calendar.
I am not satisfied with this one, but the other choices involved Care Bears and/or Pamela Anderson.
5. Get over yourself and write something new. NaNoWriMo helps tremendously.
6. Receive your cover for your next book, The Ex Games, coming out in October 2009, but you are not allowed to show it to anyone because it hasn’t been finalized! See step 1.