A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Color Me a Career


I discovered the Color Career Counselor the other day and thought it was so cool. Figure out the career you're best suited to by picking favorite colors. So I tried it. Amazingly, the results were perfectly right.

I still have a 'real job' and everyone always asks why I don't just write. The thing is, I love to write but I can't imagine just writing. I love spreadsheets and figuring out how to sell products to customers and learning what customers want to buy and I love client meetings (I'm in marketing).

So when the results said that I am a Creator (Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional) suited to a career such as.....wait...author, it was right on.

But it also said I am an organizer (Self-Control, Practical, Self-Contained, Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate) who would enjoy writing business reports and making charts and graphs.

It sounds like the two different career paths are diametrically opposed to one another, which is how I feel all the time. I love wearing a suit and running a meeting and I love sitting in a big chair in sweatpants and a t-shirt and writing by myself. I love making up stories and not knowing where they'll take me and I love being able to figure out problems that have concrete answers.
The summer after I graduated from college I was out with a friend and she asked me what I wanted to do. I told her write. She said, "You can't just sit in a room by yourself all day and write." And she was right. I can't. But I can do it half the time and still have a lot of fun.
So what do the colors tell you? Take the quiz and see what you're meant to do.

3 comments:

Jennifer Echols said...

Lo and behold, I'm a Creator too. But my secondary career is Social Manager: "Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful." Wha??? This does not sound like me at all, but maybe I'm just having a bad morning. I guess I do do a lot of social managing, running blogs. :)

Thanks for this cool link!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm a creator, and second as social manager too!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

I'm a creator first and a persuader second. I guess I do persuade people to buy drinks while bartending and I do like to debate...