A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Who are Your Writerly Crushes?







When I saw this question I didn't have to think that hard. I'd just finished reading Sonya Sones' WHAT MY GIRLFRIEND DOESN'T KNOW for the upteenth time while on vacation (I'd brought a bunch of new books, was disappointed with them, stopped reading them and reached for Sonya's book because I knew it was guaranteed pleasure).

So I'm fine with admitting that my writerly crush is Sonya Sones. I love her books so much. I wish she could publish them as quickly as I read them (impossible).

What makes them so special? They're written in verse, for one thing. Sounds odd, right, they're poems! But they're not! But they are. Yet Sonya's books are brilliant. Every word counts. How she can convey so much on a single page with maybe 50 words is beyond me. And she manages to make an entire book out of it!
If you haven't read Sonya's books, please do so. Every one of them is perfect. And you will wonder how the heck she manages to do so much with so little.



5 comments:

Nomes said...

oh - sonya sones is just brilliant! i love her too. I really enjoy verse novels in general :)

my number one author crush is Jaclyn Moriarty. Hilarious and whimsical and brilliant, her books are my all time faves - comfort reads and feel-good pick me ups :)

Sonya said...

Hey! Sonya Sones here...

Now I know why my ears have been burning!

Thanks for the lovely compliments!

Jenny said...

Hi Sonya! So now that you know I keep reading the same books over and over, any plans for a new teen book soon?

Kathy Charles said...

'One of those hideous books where the mother dies' would have to be one of the best titles I've vere heard. Will have to pick it up on title alone!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Ditto what Kathy said about the title. These sound like brilliant books. I will have to check them out!