A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How do your writing habits and your writing change during the summer?


I've never written a book during the summer. I've wanted to, maybe even had every intention to, but I haven't. For one very simple reason: I can't read my laptop screen in the sunlight. And if it's vaguely nice out, I'm outside. If I could take my laptop to the lounge chair by the pool, I'd write. But because I can't read what I'm typing, it's not terribly productive. So instead I read books.

I devour books all summer and they give me ideas, get me excited to write. So I take a lot of notes during the summer. Fall has always been my writing time.

It also helps that I've never had a deadline over the summer. And I never want to. I like my reading time, relaxing and letting the creative juices begin to bubble over until the fall comes and I sit at my laptop and let it all out.

This summer, however, I'm working on two books. It will be interesting to see how far I get. But I'm not all that optimistic.

NOTE: Just started reading new YA book - the main character "flushes" twice in the first 8 pages due to embarassment. Does it never end?

1 comment:

Jennifer Echols said...

Good luck with your books, Jenny! And as I am writing, I am making a conscious effort to keep everyone from blushing, LOL!