A BLOG FOR READERS AND AUTHORS OF MTV BOOKS

The MTV Books Blog will close on October 31. Follow us to our new home at YA Outside the Lines on November 1!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"Two Ideas"

At the moment I sit between two story ideas. INVISIBLE TOUCH has been turned in. I have pages written for both new ideas. My agent has stated interest in both stories... So which do I side with? Which one to live and breathe night and day for the next coming months?

It's definitely hard to say.

I have a tough time concentrating on more than one book at a time, so I'll have to go with one.

Do I flip a coin? Pick a number? :)

I guess I just write, and let the muse make the big choice for me.

But I'd love to hear how any writer makes a decision when more than one story calls to you...how do you make the decision? What is the tie-breaker for you?

8 comments:

Jennifer Echols said...

Oooh, I wish I had that problem. I come up with only one idea at a time. Maybe this is because nothing really sounds good to me until I get going.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with Jennifer, not a bad problem to have! I guess you pick the one that's most fun. I'm all about fun. I guess another tie-breaker could be what your editor wants to buy.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Dang, it would be a lot easier just to focus on one idea! haha! Thanks, Ladies, for your input!

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly, what I do is work on both at the same time...and ultimately, one strikes me as better than the other. I can see the momentum on the page, can feel the tug toward the next chapter. It's like I let the stories make the decision for me.

Best of luck in your decision!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Thanks, Tina! I think I've finally figured it out. :) :)

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

I'm stuck in the exact same situation right now and it is really screwing with my focus. When you decide Kelly, please share how. Right now, I am going to follow Tina's advice...

Anonymous said...

Whoever is louder or more insistent.

Barbara Caridad Ferrer said...

I wrote both synopses, made sure I'd thought both stories out beginning to end, then sent them to my critique partner and my agent and let them give me feedback.

And hoped they liked the same one I did! *g*